[gnomemm] widget set sensitive problems

Today we have been trying to gray out menu items using
gtkmm and Glade. We haven't found it wrapped in Gtkmm.
Are we supposed to just use the
gtk_widget_set_sensitive in Gtk? We tried doing that
and casting our MenuItem to widget, but the compiler
reported a failed assertion (ie, that the menu Item is
not a widget) and did not gray out the item.  Since
MenuItem is a child of widget, I thought this would
work.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Sarah Leitner