Synchronize through Dropbox (or Ubuntu One, etc.)

I have moved the .gnote directory to my Dropbox folder, and placed links to it in the home directories of three of my computers (Ubuntu 10.04). Sort of works, but not quite. Seems to take several days for the changes to notes in one computer to propagate to the others. Like if there was caching somewhere before writing to the disk files. Any idea of what is going on? I like gnote, but I really need to synchronize, this is my last resort before changing to zim or something else.

Read somewhere that Dropbox may have trouble with hidden files. Changed .gnote to gnote, no difference. Synchronizing other programs this way works fine.