dnd from clist to text entry question

Hello,

I'm creating a dialog box which allows the user to drag text from a clist
into a GtkEntry widget. I've got the drag and drop stuff working, but only if
you actually select a row from the clist first, then drag it to the entry
widget and drop it. In my mind it seems rather unfriendly to force them to
click once to select the row, then preform the dnd.

I tried to capture the row that is being selected by catching the
"select_row" signal but it seems that signal is only generated after the
mouse button is released, which does me no good.

So my question would be: what is the proper way to catch the row the user has
selected when dragging data from a clist? Or should I expect the user to
select a row before dragging data from it?

Thanks,

Mike