Some questions about GTK2 and glib2

I have an application that uses GObject in its underlying support
libraries. I had for a while been using a gobject2gtk support layer that
I got from the GStreamer project (for use with GTK1.2). I recently
decided to ditch the compatibility layer and require GObject, since I
found it too restrictive. I also ported the GUI to GTK2.

The problem is that I still want to have some sort of support for GTK1.2
users. I've decided to make the new GTK2 port a separate code branch
from the GTK1.2 code. I still want to use GObject with the GTK1.2 branch
though. So the question is:

Can my underlying shared libraries use GObject/glib2 and link with the
main GUI program that uses GTK1.2/glib1.2?

The other problem I am having is with loading plugins with GModule and
the new glib2. I posted this question on "gtk-list" and realized that it
probably wasn't the correct list for posting the problem to (apologies
to those who are seeing this again).

----

I'm having problems with glib 2.0.4 and GModule. Things worked fine with
gtk 1.2.10/glib 1.2.10. It seems program (main) variables looked up from
within the plugin aren't being resolved correctly. Here is some printf
output from within the plugin and from the GUI:

flac_encode_sfont(in GUI)=&0x80cb56c
flac_encode_sfont(in plugin_flac)=&0x4070f8f4

The address 0x4070f8f4 is in the plugin (checked /proc/[pid]/maps).
flac_encode_sfont is defined as such in the GUI program:

int (*flac_encode_sfont)(IPSFont *sf, char *flac_fname);

Any ideas what could be causing this or where to start to try and
diagnose the problem (I assume its something with libdl and glib2).
Cheers.

        Josh Green