GtkTextView / GtkTextBuffer and g_signal_connect

Hello,
I am not on this list and I have a few questions. I am attempting to develop a simple editor using the GtkTextView / GtkTextBuffer.

1) I am not sure this is a bug but here goes. I have created a composit textwidget called GXTEXT. The buffer is a text buffer and the textarea is the textview. I add the two signals below:
   g_signal_connect(GXTEXT(maintext)->buffer, "changed",
                       (GtkSignalFunc)lineposition, label);

   // this signal fails to pass the label but the previous one does ?
   g_signal_connect(GXTEXT(maintext)->textarea, "move_cursor",
                       (GtkSignalFunc)textlineposition, label);

   The function prototypes are below:

       static void lineposition (GtkTextBuffer *, GtkWidget *);
       static void textlineposition (GtkWidget *, GtkWidget *);

textlineposition does not get the label passed to it. I am not sure why. lineposition DOES get the label. Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? Do I need to pass more arguments to textlineposition?

2) Do I need to do something special to get scrolling to work? I get scroll bars in the scrolled window, but when I am typing and I hit carriage return or get out of the viewport I have to manually move the window. Is this a bug?

3) How do I select all the text in the textbuffer? I know how to get the textbounds, but how would I implement a 'select all' menu type item? Is there a special tag I should use or something?

   4) Is there an easy way to do syntax highlightening?

Thanks,
Joe