Button colors

How would one go about changing the colors of the text and background in a
button, using Gtk 1.2?

I want the user to be able to change the colors in my app's default color
table.

Right now I've got buttons packed into several hboxes, each button
representing a different entry in my color table.  When a button is
clicked, a color selection dialog pops up from which one then selects the
new color to replace the corresponding entry in the color table.

I've got it all working except for the colors of the buttons.

Or is there an alternate (and more straightforward) way to let the user
change the entries in the color table?  Buttons seemed the easiest way, at
least on the surface of it.

Thanks,

Bryan

* Bryan Brown      <*>              bbrown radix net
* http://www.radix.net/~bbrown