Does GtkToolItem get exposed?

I ask because I am developing a custom tool item type with its
attendant action type. The action is being requested to provide a tool
item, the item is being sent an allocation request (and the space is
appearing on the toolbar), the widget is being realized, but there is
no subsequent expose call and the tool bar is staring at me with a
blank patch.

If anybody has an idea about this, please let me know as I am banging
my head against a wall right now  :-(

Dale