gtk custom widgets

Hi,

I was just reading the gtk tutorial and it says to only write a new
widget if there isn't one available that performs your required task.

I have found that I have to create a new widget to enable me to store
additional data that may effect the display of a widget. eg. I store
information about the audio samples to be displayed by a graphing widget
(that already exists).

This is in a similar fashion to creating a big app class in Java (swing)
and making this class consist of a composition of widgets that already
exist as well as data objects that are needed for your application.

Am I on the right track in saying this?

Thanks