Re: gtk-mailund-980804-0.patch.gz

Thomas Mailund Jensen <mailund@daimi.aau.dk> writes:

>  >> - gtk_text_set_set_property should not freeze() / thaw()
>  >> unconditionally, since that will thaw a previously frozen text
>  >> widget.
>
>  J>  Would it not be easier to add recursive freezing/thawing in ?
>
> Actually, I'm not quite sure when freezing/thawing is needed...always
> freeze before change?

When the Text widget is frozen, the onscreen display and the
associated line start cache are not updated, when it is thawed,
they are regenerated from scratch. So applications might
want to freeze()/thaw() if they are doing a whole bunch of
modifications at once.

Insertions and deletions work fine when the Text widget is not
frozen. (though they actually freeze the Text widget themeself,
if the amount of text being inserted or deleted is larger than
some fixed length - because there is some point where this
becomes more efficient.) However, your property changing code
does not take care of updates to the line-start-cache or
display, so it won't work at all unless the widget is frozen.

(Actually, I suspect, freeze-thaw was, to some extent, something
Josh added so the Text widget could work when the line-start-cache
updating code still didn't cover most of the cases.)