Re: [patch] default gtkrc files

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Shawn T . Amundson wrote:

> I plan to apply this patch, but I figured it might be
> useful to open this up for discussion first.
>
> Basically:
>
> gtk_init calls gtk_rc_init.  gtk_rc_init will automatically
> parse $sysconfdir/gtkrc and ~/.gtkrc by default.  This can
> be changed by using gtk_rc_set_default_files(GSList *files).
> gtk_rc_get_default_files() can be used to get these files
> if you want to append to the list (see testgtk example
> below).
>
> $sysconfdir is usually $prefix/etc and can be set with configure.
>
> There is also a GTK_RC_FILES environment variable which can
> be used to change the default files.  This can be especially
> useful for avoiding reading in $sysconfdir/gtkrc.

how does/will this integrate with the locale-dependant default
rc-files owen is proposing?

also, i feel quite unpleasant with your proposed API, especially
since you operate on lists and doule copy every string.
what about:

void      gtk_rc_add_default_file      (const gchar *file_name);
void      gtk_rc_set_default_files     (gchar      **file_list);
gchar**   gtk_rc_get_default_files     (void);

and *not* doing the extra string-copying.

> -Shawn

---
ciaoTJ