Re: (patch) strdupa for GLib - 2nd try

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Manish Singh wrote:
> alloca() declaration stuff is a bit of a mess really, which is why autoconf
> provides AC_FUNC_ALLOCA. The info documentation is quite lucid on the
> topic, so I suggest reading up on that (it even has provisions for using
> an alloca.c if it's not found at all on the system.

heh I was just updating the autoconf docs a couple days ago, saw this
then, and then promptly forgot about it.  ;-)

> Now regarding headers, I think we should strive to keep glib.h from
> polluting the namespace much more than it does now, since #including
> some headers can produce breakage (which is why we pull the defs from
> pthread.h and sys/poll.h instead of #including them directly). Now I
> dunno how to do this with with alloca, or even if we can, any ideas? :)

The following code comes from the autoconf docs.  Maybe
s/HAVE_ALLOCA_H/G_HAVE_ALLOCA_H/, and include this in glibconfig.h?
>From reading Linux and solaris alloca.h it seems helpful to include it,
if gcc is not being used (an unlikely case on Linux :)).

	Jeff

       /* AIX requires this to be the first thing in the file.  */
       #ifdef __GNUC__
       # define alloca __builtin_alloca
       #else
       # if HAVE_ALLOCA_H
       #  include <alloca.h>
       # else
       #  ifdef _AIX
        #pragma alloca
       #  else
       #   ifndef alloca /* predefined by HP cc +Olibcalls */
       char *alloca ();
       #   endif
       #  endif
       # endif