Re: Moving main loop to GLib.

Tor Lillqvist writes:
>I guess I would, even with your proposal, still like to have the file
>descriptors as used on Unix hidden away in one layer of abstraction,

Ugh...  Imposing an abstraction like this on Unix source would suck.
People shy away from FILE*, why use some weird GIOChannel if they
won't even use FILE*'s?

>My main point is that instead of having for instance:
>
>gp_quit_write (int fd)
>  if (!wire_write_msg (fd, &msg))
>    return FALSE;
>
>we would have:
>
>gp_quit_write (GIOChannel *channel)
>{
>  if (!wire_write_msg (channel, &msg))
>    return FALSE;

If we have a macro that works something like this (someone else
can come up with the right name for the macro):
  if (!write_write_msg (G_IOCHANNEL_FD(fd), &msg)
    return FALSE;
then it would be OK, I guess.  I'd really rather that the burden
of abstraction was moved over to the windows platform by hiding
a "fd" (magical numbers cooked up by glib under windows) which
is an index into an array of structures that holds all the
information that glib under windows needs.

michaelkjohnson

 Linux Application Development       http://www.redhat.com/~johnsonm/lad/