Re: GDate

I looked at the gdate module in CVS, it looks nice.  Anyway, I think
several things are missing: direct manipulations of ISO-8601 dates,
and unification of these functions with more accurate time divisions
(hours, minutes, seconds).

Formatting other than ISO-8601 should be strongly discouraged.  I don't
think a strftime function should be included, rather a funcion to convert a
time-string to a GDate and a function to convert a GDate to a ISO-8601
formatted string.  Perhaps RFC-822 is desirable, but anyone who uses
anything other than ISO-8601 today should not be, anyway.  I highly
recommend Paul Eggerts date/time parsing functions which can be located
in diffutils.  He's very knowledgeable about these things--
<eggert@twinsun.com>.

Also, without digging into the implementation, what is:

	g_date_set_parse

Or more precisely, how does it parse?  This is tricky stuff, again
I recommend Paul Eggert's code.

And support for less-accurate forms of date types seems not very
useful.   I like the Java interface here, have you looked at it?  I
think it might be nicer.  Why not include times in the GDate structure?
A date without a time is useless since it may be Sunday in California
and Monday morning in Europe.  Timezone's impact the date, and therefore
time impacts the date.  Times must be included for this interface to
be acceptable.  I think the Java interface should be cloned.

I respect Steffen Beyer's code very much, and I'm sure all the Julian
calendar stuff works, but without more accurate timing, knowing the
correct date does nothing for me.

-josh

Quoting Havoc Pennington (rhpennin@midway.uchicago.edu):