g_module extension

Some days ago i sent this message to Tim Janik, and he told me to
resend it to the gtk list, because it might be of potential interest
to this list.

I have the problem that i want to load a shared library which depends
on other shared libraries. There's no portable way of storing this
dependency in the *.so file. Therefore libtool uses the *.la files for
linking and extracts the additional libraries from this file. This
method doesn't work with the current g_module implementation which
"only" does a dlopen(). Maybe the g_module module should also use the
information from the *.la files to load additional libraries.

I think this functionality will become necessary when we see more
shared library CORBA servers for the Gnome project in the future.

His answer summarized by me:

Use the g_module_check_init() function of the module to load
additional libraries and declare the loaded module and every library
loaded by this module to be resident using the
g_module_make_resident() function.

--
Michael Lausch/g.a.m.s. edv dienstleistungen gmbh
See my web page <http://www.lausch.at/> or query PGP key server for PGP key.