Re: glib-1.3

Ian Main <imain@netidea.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 09:06:56AM +0100, Trog wrote:
> >
> > That should say:
> >
> > No. Glib 1.3 is the development version, and so there will not be a
> > release. You should base your code on GLib 1.2, which is the
> > current stable version.
>

> Hehe.. look in the authors file in glib ;-)

Of course, Josh has done a lot of the code in GLib. But,
I'd agree with Tony's point.

If you want to publically release something that is supposed to be
stable before, say, August, then you should not depend on GLib 1.3
features. In fact, if you want people to use your development version
before August, you should not depend on GLib 1.3 features.

If you need such features, then you should emulate them in
your code until a stable release of GLib is available with
those features.

We had a lot of trouble in the last release cycle of GTK+/GLib
because GNOME was targeting an unstable release... I think
we should try hard to enforce the policy:

 "Nothing should depend on the unstable branch of GTK+
  until the unstable branch of GTK+ is ready"

That's why GTK+-1.3 prints out a big ugly warning on
startup now. If we have to make the default background
color red, we can do that too...

And the same should apply to GLib; it would be possible
of course, to go with a different release cycle for
GLib than GTK+, but whatever the release cycle is going
to be for GLib, I'm positive we aren't in freeze for
a stable release at this date.