Re: glib-1.3

Quoting Josh MacDonald (jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU):
> Quoting Miguel de Icaza (miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx):
> >
> > > I just released Xdelta-1.1.0 and it depends on glib-1.3.0 but there
> > > is no such publically available glib version.  Would it be possible
> > > for someone to make a release?
> >
> > I am worried Josh.
> >
> > If people start installing glib 1.3 things you will run into the
> > problem we have been facing: users that do not use a packaging system
> > should be real good at configure/prefix or should end up choosing
> > between GIMP, GNOME or Xdelta.

To further elaborate, I would like to add that there is a principle involved
here which I am sticking too.  That is: I am using glib-1.3 for development.
I don't know if Xdelta works with glib-1.2, and I don't think I should have
to install glib-1.2 and test it just to be sure.  I know it works with
glib-1.3, therefore I should be able to release my code without banging my
head against a crowd of GTK and GNOME developers.  The rest of my prcs2
code DOES depend on glib-1.3 for sure, so I can't use glib-1.2 for
development.  The forced synchronization between glib and everything else
is the root of all of these problems.  Perhaps the lack of a decent,
functional library dependency mechanism is another cause of the problem.

-josh