Re: Problem with gdk_pointer_is_grabbed() + test program

Tim Janik wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Damon Chaplin wrote:
>
> > Damon Chaplin wrote:
> > >
> > > gdk_pointer_is_grabbed() often returns 0 even if there is a grab.
> >

> > I've just remembered that X does an automatic pointer grab if a
> > window selects both button_press & button_release events.
> >

> this i've never heard of, lots of gtk windows select button clicks and
> releases and the server doesn't issue a pointer grab for that.
> this would mean that you couldnt use other applications while a
> window with button press and release events is mapped.

It's mentioned in a few places in the XLib Programming Manual (e.g. pg 314)
The manual says that a pointer grab between button_press & button_release
is such a common desire by applications that it is done automatically.
(Though if that is the case, I'm not sure why widgets like clist try to
grab the pointer themselves. I suppose it makes it more explicit.)

>From what Owen wrote I assume the grab is released even if your application
has been 'frozen' by gdb, so it shouldn't be a problem.

But I've tried using "gdk_pointer_ungrab(); gdk_flush();" before the abort()
and it only works sometimes.

Damon