Re: question ..

Tomasz Kłoczko <kloczek@rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl> writes:
> On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, [ISO-8859-2] Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
> > > Why glibconfig.h is placed in $(prefix)/lib/glib/include .. why not ot
> > > in $(prefix)/include ?
> >
> > It is very platform-specific.
>
> Hmm .. and this is cause placing this deep in some subdirectory ?

It is reason enough to place it in $(exec_prefix).

> Many files are platform specific but is not placed in glib-sheme.
>
> IMHO it is very weak argument for placing this file in this place
> .. in separated directory :_)

`glib' attempts to follow the GNU filesystem standards (GFSS).
However the GFSS doesn't have a standard location for platform
specific headers --  $(prefix)/include is meant for
platform independent headers.  Each package that needs platform
specific headers takes a different approach:

  - some punt the issue

  - GNU libio installs _G_config.h in

        $(exec_prefix)/$(host_alias)/include

  - GCC installs its platform specific headers in

        $(libdir)/gcc-lib/$(host_alias)/$(gcc-version)/include

GLIB takes an approach based on these.

As a counterpoint, GLIBC installs its platform-specific headers in
/usr/include.  This is OK since the FHS specifies /usr/include as
platform-specific.

So, for the special case of

        $prefix == $exec_prefix == /usr

you *can* install glibconfig.h in /usr/include.

Right now, we don't do that, but I'm sure we'll accept a patch that
installs glibconfig.h in /usr/include iff $prefix==$exec_prefix==/usr,
and also takes care of fixing glib-config &c. to handle this.
However, this still doesn't mean that you should install glibconfig.h
in $prefix/include.

- Hari