Re: glib-1.3

"Shawn T . Amundson" <amundson@gimp.org> writes:
[snip]
> Here is the URL, where you can find GLib 1.3.0:
>
> ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/glib/unstable/v1.3/
>
> Note 1.2 may have bug fixes this release doesn't have.  This release
> isn't 'newer' than 1.2.
>
> I'm including part of the README file below.  This is also the
> text that gets spit out at the end of configure now.  Binary package
> maintainers should take special note not to package glib-config and
> headers of GLib 1.3.  *please*
[snip]
> *** IMPORTANT ***
>
> This is a development version of GLib.  You should be using a stable
> version, which is available at ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v1.2/.  This
> version is meant for developers of GLib only:
>
>  * You should not base stable software on this version of GLib.
>  * GNOME developers should use a stable version of GLib.
>
> Distributions should *NOT* ship a development package of this GLib.
> Do not ship the headers and do not ship the glib-config script.  These
> things will conflict with the stable 1.2 series.  Package only enough
> to satisfy the requirements of some other package.  Package only the
> library itself.  Doing otherwise will do no favors to the community.
[snip]

I agree completely.  Another file that should be excluded is the link
`libglib.so'.  So, the library package should probably contain only
libglib-1.3.so.*.  I don't think there is anything else in GLIB that
needs to be installed.  In fact, instead of listing files to exclude,
just say that the package should contain only libglib-1.3.so.*.

- Hari