Re: Include AM_GTK_WITH_NLS in gtk.m4?

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Damon Chaplin wrote:

> > But the GTK+ & Gnome people are telling people to install the gettext
> > library if they want gettext support, aren't they?
>
> Right....  they are libs, and there is all sorts of nastiness associated
> with including libintl inside a package that is made up entirely of
> libs.
>
> Other GNOME programs continue to include libintl with their code...
> because they are programs, and libintl links statically, that is ok.

But what's the point?
If the user wants i18n they will already have installed the gettext library
before installing GTK+ (or they may have support in their OS/libc anyway).

Maybe in the past when gettext was rarely used and being changed frequently
it was useful to include it in applications. But now that we're using it
everywhere, why duplicate it?

Damon