Re: hi

plex <dadler@gwdg.de> writes:

> hi gtk+ developers,
> i'm the author of gtk+ magic / gmagic and want to tell
> you that i'm very interested in integration gtkmagic in
> the main source tree.

I haven't had the time to study G*Magic in detail, but
to respond at general level -

I don't think that adding code to access a network
configuration database into GTK+ proper would
be the right thing to do.

I'd much rather see some patches that allow a module
to replace code that currently gets the style information
out of .gtkrc files.

The module would essentially provide a replacement
for gtk_rc_get_style().

[ Though, note that we need to keep a capability
  gtk_widget_modify_style() working, apps need
  to be able to tweek the styles of their widgets
  without knowing about the details of the
  current configuration system ]

> So I really don't know how working in a team, especially
> in gtk+, is done and what it is all about.
> I want to integrate the gmagic client code in gtk+ and
> need help in the decision about using GtkArgs or my currently
> used GtkProp. As a second, I patched some stuff like

Is there documentation about GtkProp somewhere?

Tim has an argument system in BSE which he would like
to replace GTK's argument system with at some point.

> GtkButton.... set_border
>
> I just realized, that in some widgets a border shadow-style
> should be configurable and choosable to have complete aspects
> of the drawing.

I know Tk allows you to set the border style on all widgets,
but I've never quite understand it.

The GTK+ approach is that if the application wants a
decorative frame around a widget, then it should use a GtkFrame.

If a theme wants to draw the border styles differently
then it should draw them differently.

That being said, in the future, we do want to allow
themes to change widget arguments in the future.
To be able to change this on the fly is going to
require modifications to the GTK+ argument system
so that GTK+ can tell

 a) what the default value of an argument is
 b) whether an argument has been changed by the application
    or changed by the theme.

> As a second point in my investigation, I have the problem, that
> I just can't set the exact Button's Label text-style or just
> change all GtkLabel styles through my current mechansim. I thought
> about a GtkContainer::child_proplist property for my database...o( think?!)

The gtkrc mechansim allows this.

 widget_class "*GtkButton.GtkLabel" style "my-text-style"
 class "GtkLabel" style "my-other-text-style"

> here is the gmagic/gtk+ magic support site
>
> http://209.201.55.167/gtkmagic

This doesn't seem to be accessible now.