Re: New 'GObject' as base for GtkObject?

Derek Simkowiak <dereks@kd-dev.com> writes:

> > > maybe or maybe not,
> >
> > Come on.
> [...SNIP strange McDonald's simile...]
> > That's how the GtkObject feels like when you're used to C++ or Java.
>
> 	I disagree with your opinion.  I hate C++, Java has its own
> issues, and Objective C simply isn't portable or popular enough.

And still, how long did it take you to whip out your first class in
any of these languages, compared to with the Gtk+ object system ?

> GtkObject is the coolest OOP system that currently has a large user base,
> not to mention the fact that it happens to come with a kick-ass set of
> widgets :).

I think it's a safe bet to say that even in Linux only, any of C++,
Java or Python has a much larger user base than Gtk+. And as far as
the whole industry is concerned, Gtk+ doesn't even exist.

> 	The Gtk+ object system is awesome--if one is familiar with
> Object-oriented techniques, I think learning the Gtk+ system is much
> easier than learning the syntax of a new language.

You really think that the chapter on how to make new widgets in the
Gtk+ tutorial is easier to learn that a couple of keywords ???

This is like saying that sticking to if() and goto which one already
knows is easier than learning for() and while().

These new languages didn't came out from the blue, they implemented
the idioms which had emerged after years of using the old, less
expressive language. Just like you make new words for new things which
you used to describe with a whole sentence. It's a natural process,
you expand your vocabulary as new notions are learned.

> Plus, I can continue to use my tried-and-true C development tools.

Yes, that's the whole problem. I wrote a short paper about that a
while ago, thanks for illustrating it.

> 	Of course, this is only my opinion--you have many valid arguments,
> but I think it's safe to say GtkObject is going to stick around for a
> while.

Unfortunately, it certainly will. I think there's an OO extension to
Cobol as well.

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.worldnet.fr/~glaurent