Re: New 'GObject' as base for GtkObject?

> locks or add locks to those parts.  :-)  If we are talking about a
> general object system to be used in things like sound systems
> emits of signals must become something better than a global lock.
> (At least from what I would guess.)

Add video to that.

It's kind of neat to have a video stream not suspend itself
when doing a window drag, etc... and not have things completely
lock up.

Does the GtkObject system have an identify tag in it's structure ?

What about synchronization monitors that are aquireable on critical
section entry ?

> I believer firmly that MI is the best way to do some things in the
> interface.  For example, a frame may have a "text", a label has a "text",
> a menu item has a "text".  Therefore the right way to do things
> would be to define a text interface, then define an implementation

Sometimes. The text case is probably a bad example for MI, but having
generic container that you can just glue a drag&drop interface onto is
a much more useful example, IMHO. Not all containers need D&D.

> Of course there is another way to achieve the same effect.  That
> is just to have only multiple interface that is exportable.  Then
> the label in the frame is a real label that you export its
> interface to the user.  (But then what happens when you want
> a box instead of a label.)

That's interfaces, right ?

> Sorry, I was just spouting off at this point... but you and
> I have had discussions before on this with the iterator
> concepts for accessing gtk+ list members (not glist).  In C++
> I have the pointer to the location of a GtkListItem, but I have
> to find its number in the list (O(n)) and then pass that to
> gtk+ which will go through the list again to find the element O(n),
> just to get the current value of a field which I then want to set
> which has to do the same thing over again.  This is fine if
> the list size is 8, but if it is 1000 be have a big overhead.
> Now just imagine I was changing some field in every item of the
> list that is n/2*4*n => O(n^2)

I've already run into this problem with GtkListItem and things
get very slow.

> --Karl

I'm unsure if I'm adding anything to this discussion.

bill