Possible tree data structure for GLIB

I did an experiment this semester for my computer architecture class
on cache performance of a few indexing data structures.  The experiment
studied the performance of several variations on a B+-tree and skip list,
as well as the GLIB AVL tree and a Treap.  I used a CPU simulation to
verify that the performance differences are due to cache effects.  I'll
make all of the code available for GLIB if anyone is interested, though
I'd like to hear about anyone who is seriously stressing the performance
of the current AVL tree first.  There's a paper at:

	http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~jmacd/skiplist.pdf

-josh