Re: GNOME bug tracker

Owen Taylor wrote:

> I wanted to start some discussion as to whether
> we should be using the GNOME bug tracker as the
> "official" GTK+ bug tracking system
> (It is available at http://bugs.gnome.org, and
> is based on the Debian bug-tracking system.)
>
> It has a number of advantages:
>
>  1) Anybody can add bugs, and anybody can also change
>     the status of bugs or close them. (The latter
>     might also be seen as a disadvantage, but I think
>     the chance of people maliciously using the
>     bug-tracking system is small)
>
>  2) It's pretty simple to use. (Much more so than
>     bugzilla or jitterbug). But it is also pretty
>     complete. I can't think of too much we'd
>     want that it doesn't do.
>
>  3) At the present time, it looks like it is going
>     to be in active use for the GNOME project,
>     so it should be well maintained.
>
>  4) Submission is by email, so we could provide
>     a gtkbug script that can prompt people for the
>     necessary information. (And fill in things
>     like the version number itself)
>
> Disadvantages:
>
>  1) You can't do the kind of sophisticated searches
>     that you can with some other bug-tracking
>     systems.
>
>  2) Submission is by email, so people with improperly
>     configured machines might have trouble using it.
>
> Anybody have thoughts on this?
>                                         Owen
>
> --

Does it have an mail interface for the people responding to
bugs? The two bug trackers I have used the most ddts and
issues (which was an internal IBM tool) both routed email
to people named on issues as well as having a database interface
for browsing. People could also add themselves to an bug report
so they would receive email whenever the bug report was updated.

I probably won't be responding to bugs on gtk+, but I would like
to know if gtk-- should be using this too. It would be nice for
wish-request and bug reports to be able to have a mail-back capable
bug system for updates ( I probably will have these for gtk+ )

I think the email system is good for submission, I don't like web
based entry. The script idea is good too.

Regarding the search limitations. Is the database closed or could
other scripts be written to query it?

I don't understand what you mean by disadvantage #2. What would be
easier than email where they would still have some chance of getting
the bug report to you.

Todd.

Todd & Lisa Dukes
tjdukes@flash.net