Problem compiling from CVS

I recently retrieved gtk+ from CVS and haven't been able to
compile it yet. I run the autogen.sh script and it fails when
trying to run ./configure with the following error:

./configure: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
./configure: ./configure: line 579: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE, $VERSION, no-define)

I've looked at the script, but I am new to automake/autoconf and really don't
know what I'm looking at any help on this specifically or pointers to
information about automake/autoconf would be very helpful.

Thanks