Redraw things..

After Tim's changes to the redraw routines, gtk has become very slow for
me and has lots and lots of unnecessary redraws.. most notably in
complex widgets like a notebook where the *list in the middle gets
redrawn maybe 3-4 times and the further out of the widget, the fewer
redraws.. but still too many redraws...

Also.. it seems to do things in a very illogic order... when flipping
between tabs in a notebook, the texts from the old tab is overwritten as
a _final_ stage... it looks _much_ better if old stuff is cleared first
then new stuff drawn over that... instead of first making a horrible
clutter and then cover the parts we don't want to keep...

I know this must be awfully hard to get good.. but the old way was
_much_ better for low cpu/bandwidth people like me... (what has improved
from these patches?)

I'm not sure if it appeared now, but I get an abort when docking
GtkHandleboxes ...
Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)

Also... with testgtk (and the supplied testgtkrc) with mine and tybstars
ThinIce, I get the little checkmarks from the checkboxes as background
image when flipping tabs in the notebook.. prolly our fault for not
caring too much about background images..

The same things happens when displaying onto a Solaris 2.6/sparc/8bpp
box over 10mbit net from:
* P100, Debian 1.3/x86
* Dual SuperSparc 60Mhz, Solaris 2.6/sparc

Also when running locally on the SparcStation LX (about the speed of a
486 25-33 something)

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, stric@ing.umu.se, http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student of Computer Science at the University of Umeå