Re: Proposal: complete thread support for glib.

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Sebastian Wilhelmi wrote:
> There's another thing, I want to hear somebodys opinion about: Do we really
> want to have the stacksize argument? There is actually no way to portable
> determine this for a programmer. Linux ignores it (It uses dynamic stacks). We
> would on the other hand throw away flexibility, which might be of some use.
> The best thing would be to make a g_thread_create function with only
> thread_func, arg and joinable arguments and a g_thread_create_full function
> with all parameters.

I'm playing with it now.  For some reason configure finds
pthread_attr_setstacksize when it does not exist, on my system.
(Linux/Alpha, kernel 2.2.10, RedHat 5.2)

config.log output:

configure:4958: checking size of pthread_t
configure:4978: gcc -o conftest -O -Wall  -D_REENTRANT   conftest.c -lpthread 1 >&5
configure:4970: warning: return-type defaults to `int'
configure: In function `main':
configure:4973: warning: int format, different type arg (arg 3)
configure:5000: checking for pthread_attr_setstacksize
configure:5009: gcc -c -O -Wall  -D_REENTRANT  conftest.c 1>&5
configure: In function `main':
configure:5005: warning: implicit declaration of function `pthread_attr_setstack
size'

and...

[jgarzik@dog glib]$ grep SETSTACKSIZE *.h
acconfig.h:#undef HAVE_PTHREAD_ATTR_SETSTACKSIZE
config.h:#define HAVE_PTHREAD_ATTR_SETSTACKSIZE 1

Maybe you need to change the test from a TRY_COMPILE sort of test to a
TRY_LINK sort of test.

	Jeff