Re: Question about Makefile templates for gtk

On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 11:27:56AM +0100, Erik Mouw wrote:
> > Makefile.in is autogenerated from Makefile.am, then Makefile is generated
> > from Makefile.in. If gdk wasn't linked it would have to be a bug in one of
> > the build tools, maybe libtool or automake; gdk is specified in
> > Makefile.am.
>
> No, it is not a bug in the build tools. It (usually) makes no sense to
> link with other libraries when you build a library. The linker won't
> include the other libraries anyway.

Well, when you build libgtk, you ARE linking in other libraries:
libgmodule, libglib, libXll, libXext, and libm.  The Makefile
currently comments out the libtool flag to link in libgdk:

#$(top_builddir)/gdk/libgdk.la

I tried uncommenting the line out, and when I tried to rebuild,
I got the error:
libtool: link: error: cannot link shared libraries into libtool libraries

I looked in libtool and found:

      link_against_libtool_libs=

      # How the heck are we supposed to write a wrapper for a shared library?
      if test -n "$link_against_libtool_libs"; then
         $echo "$modename: error: cannot link shared libraries into libtool libraries" 1>&2
         exit 1
      fi

So as Joel Becker pointed out, this looks like a libtool problem.

Joel, can you forward me your copy of libtool which can do this?

--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr