GTK+ and other language bindings

This may have been discussed in the past...

Has anyone ever considered defining the gtk+ interfaces in a
non-programming language? I was thinking of something like IDL or XML.

The bindings for C++, python, perl etc could all use the interface
definitions to automatically generate code. If the interface definitions
were based on the C headers then the bindings, which seem to be mostly
wrappers, could be written automatically, leaving just the internals
(signal systems etc) to write manually.

The reason I bring this up is that the gtk-- web page talks about how it
would be nice to parse the gtk+ source code to make the development time
shorter. This must apply to the other binding writers too.

Cheers.

--
* Matt Goodall, mgg@isotek.co.uk
* Isotek Electronics Ltd

begin:vcard
n:Goodall;Matt
tel;fax:+44 113 234 2918
tel;work:+44 113 234 3202/3
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Isotek Electronics Ltd
adr;quoted-printable:;;Claro House=0D=0AServia Road;Leeds;W.Yorks;LS7 1NL;England
version:2.1
email;internet:mgg@isotek.co.uk
x-mozilla-cpt:;-21184
fn:Matt Goodall