Parbox

Hello All,

    Hans> Good evening.  I'm wondering if there's any such thing as a
    Hans> "parbox" container widget, a la TeX parboxes, out
    Hans> there. That is, a box that packs its children in a flowing
    Hans> manner - left->right then top->bottom (configurable?).

in a previous posting
"http://www.gnome.org/mailing-lists/archives/gtk-devel-list/1999-October/0018.shtml"
I (Basile S.) suggested the same thing for about the same purpose,
some syntax-based editor (or hypertext editor); I would like a complex
widget mixing text, drawing, and subwidgets (for hypertext links,
etc...).

Unfortunately, I believe that Gtk is too complex to do so. Also, it
seems to me that simple widgets are too heavy in Gtk (>80bytes for a
simple button or label)

So, I am giving up using the Gtk widget set. (I also unsubscribe from
the Gtk lists).

I think that Gtk widgets are quite good, but can't simply be used as
such. They target ordinary, Windows-like applications (same can be
said of KDE/Qt).

(There is also a GTk wrapping of some Xt HTML widget called gtk-xmhtml
in some Gnome library)

By the way, the Efun package by Fabrice Le Fessant
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lefessan" "is an experimental toolkit in
Ocaml which has an hypertext like containing widget which can have
subwidgets (such as button) embedded inside the text. I feel it is a
proof of concept. (you'll need the Ocaml functional langage from
"http://caml.inria.fr/ocaml/")

Regards
--
Basile STARYNKEVITCH - 8 rue de la Faiencerie, 92340 BOURG LA REINE (France)
tel 01.46.65.45.53. email = basile point starynkevitch at wanadoo point fr