Re: Too long menus

On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 02:23:45PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Handling menus bigger than the screen has been on the TODO list
> for a long time, and this (scrolling the menu) was the way
> I wanted to implement it.

Excellent.

>  - Warnings about incorrect use of gtk_widget_set_request()

You mean gtk_widget_size_request()?  I don't see those warnings with
1.2.4, but I'll try CVS.

>  - It seems to break the "pop up and stay up" capability of
>    menus, at least in some case.

I didn't notice this.  Can you be more specific?

> One possilibility is that this is just some subtle version
> creep problems with the changes from 1.2.4 - 1.2.5 - since
> your patch is a CVS diff, you might want to try it against
> current CVS.

Yeah, it's a CVS diff against my local CVS repository.  I'll try it
against the gnome repository.

> > Any ideas how to avoid that obnoxious flicker while scrolling?
>
> I don't quite understand how you are doing the scrolling,
> but the flicker is almost certainly coming from
> the:
>
>  gtk_widget_size_allocate (GTK_WIDGET (menu), &allocation)
>
> (Which is, btw, not allowable. Only a parent can call
>  size_allocate on a child.)

That's how I'm doing the scrolling.  :)  Since allocate does the layout
of the menu items anyway, I just shuffle the items around there.

> In fact, you might want to use a GtkScrolledWindow. Once
> the user has torn off the menu, you really need to have a
> scrollbar.

Ok, I'll take a look at this approach.  My patch ignores the issue of
torn-off menus.

--
Matt Kimball
mkimball@xmission.com