Re: notes on combo boxes

On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 10:10:23AM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 05:40:10PM +0100, Joel Becker wrote:
> > 	While working on the NIC (www.thinknic.com), we target new
> > computer users.  One of the biggest issues folks are having is with the
> > OptionMenu.  In this case, it is Netscape's Motif widget, but the GTK+
> > widget is of the same design, namely:
> >
> > ,--------------------.
> > | Some text here  -- |
> > `--------------------'
>
> Well, that widget *somewhat* resembles one of MacOS's "Standard Pop-Up
> Menus":
>
> 	http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/HIGuidelines/HIGuidelines-91.html#HEADING91-0
>
> although MacOS pop-up menus use a triangle pointing down, rather than
> that horizontal thing, as the indicator that there's a menu hiding
> there.

	Though the MacOS widget (and the later MacOS X widget) may have
the menu-size problems, the arrow is the important bit.  It is the arrow
on the combo box, "drop-down" box, and MacOS pop-up menu that
facilitates a ready understanding of "there is more here" (and I like
the MacOS's later up/down arrow improvement).  The dash on the Motif/GTK+
widget does not give that impression.
	As far as the too-many-items problem, if you solve that for the
regular menu, you solve it for the pop-up menu (of course).  It doesn't
change the fact that too many entries spoil them.
	On the NIC, I have resorted to radio buttons and multi-line
lists because of the complaints about OptionMenu-style widgets.  A more
intuitive widget display would be welcomed in their place, as the widget
takes less space than the alternatives.

Joel

--

"Sometimes I think the surest sign intelligent
 life exists elsewhere in the universe is that

			http://zenii.uk.linux.org/~jlbec/
			jlbec@evilplan.org