Consensus on getter conventions?

Hi,

A while ago the thread about naming conventions and memory handling
for various getter functions fizzled out. But just about everyone
agreed at some point in the thred that _some_ convention is better
than the inconsistency we have now. Can we come to a consensus on this
and start moving forward?

I'd like to propose that we go with the convention of naming functions
that return references to internal data *_peek_* and naming functions
that allocate new memory *_get_*. Most people seemed to be in favor of
this approach. Further, we agreed this could be done pretty easily
with a script.

Can we all agree with this approach, and start moving forward on it
for Gtk+ 1.3 and gnome-libs HEAD?

 - Maciej