more on gtkfilesel...

Just some thoughts:

* The new gtkfilesel should be backwards-compatible with the old one,
only with a new and more useful layout. That way, it can be included in
Gtk+ 2.0. Posterior versions of Gtk+ 2.0 could change this
backwards-compatibily issue (I even think that it would be a good thing
that the gtkfilesel widget got out of the main gtk distribution some
day, and every file selection was done through Gnome/Bonobo/Nautilus.
You can allways have those widgets in GtkExtra, etc...)

* Please, remove the ./ and ../ directories in the directory listing.
They are just confusing. Put some buttons instead.

* The mounted devices should be reflected some way in the directory
listing through some kind of icon. For example, would it be much
difficult to scan /etc/mtab or so when displaying the directory tree, so
that, for example, the icon for /mnt/cdrom displays a little cdrom. I
think this helps a lot.

* A list of mounted devices could be added to the gtk file selection
widget. Just scan /etc/mtab or so, and put the devices in the list with
their corresponding icon, so the user can click on this list to quickly
select the device and go to the directory where the device is mounted.

* I prefer a IE list of matching filenames instead of the tab
completetion. It's more intuitive for newbies.

* And of course, keep it simple...

Nice programming,...