Re: Compile error?

Thus spake Nils Barth:
> I'm having trouble compiling GTK.
> After compiling and installing CVS HEAD glib, I check out CVS HEAD
> gtk+, and autogen.sh dies with:
> ./configure: syntax error near unexpected token
> `AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0(1.3.1,,'
> ./configure: ./configure: line 4315: `  AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0(1.3.1,,'
>
> (or rather, it ends with:
> Now type 'make' to compile Gtk+.
> and then make has no targets and dies)
>
> How can I fix this?

Sorry, that should read ``I'm having trouble BUILDING gtk'',
since the problem is in autogen.sh/configure.

I guess I'm a bit confused on the build process:
(1) How often do I need to run ./autogen.sh?
    Only once? After updating CVS?
(2) What should I do if I have trouble building? (other than check
    that I didn't do something boneheaded)
(3) There's a buglet in [glib,gtk+,pango]/autogen.sh in that even if
    configure fails, it still tells you to make, which won't work.

Quick fix (at end of respective files):
-$srcdir/configure --enable-maintainer-mode "$@"
-
-echo
-echo "Now type 'make' to compile $PROJECT."
+if $srcdir/configure --enable-maintainer-mode "$@"; then
+       echo
+       echo "Now type 'make' to compile $PROJECT."
+fi

Thanks!

--
  -nils