Re: Glib 1.2.8 for OpenVMS

Sebastian Wilhelmi wrote:

> Hi Marc,

> Your effort to port GLib to a new platform is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

> But I
> don't think we'll include it into version 1.2.8, as the new version 2.0 will
> soon come out. Would you mind trying to port the latest CVS-version of GLib to
> OpenVMS? >

No, I don't mind.

> Then you could mail us the diffs. Please you gtk-devel-list@gnome.org for that
> purpose though.

OK. I'll post everything to that list.

> > The OpenVMS system I used is version 7.1-2 using the Compaq C++
> > compiler. This
> > compiler, as most c++ compiler is more strict on type checking than the
> > regular c compilers. Therefore, most of the changes I had to make are
> > typecastings.
>
> Of course it is highly questionable, if you should compile with a C++
> compiler.

I understand.

> Is that the only chance for you? Otherwise I would strongly prefer a
> C compiler, because I don't think we want to cast everywhere. Especially the
> gpointer <-> any pointer cast is a feature, not a bug.

I agree, I usually program in C. Unfortunately, the client I'm working
for is using the C++ compiler for most of his development. I'll try to
get hold of a C compiler but for the time being, I have to work with
this C++ compiler.

I want to congratulate the whole Glib (and GTK) development team for
their efforts. They did a great job and made the transition to OpenVMS
quite painless.

Thanks