Re: .defs Issues From Java-Gnome

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Dan Bornstein wrote:

> Thanks for the information. Additional questions:
>
> >Probably a lot of your concerns are addressed by the new .defs format
>
> Where is the new .defs format currently specified? My impression is that
> the .defs files are now generated from headers rather than checked in to
> the repository. Is this an accurate assessment? If so, I'd be very
> appreciative if someone could forward me or post a URL of a recent snapshot
> of the generated file(s). As I said before, the only information I could
> find was discussions and drafts from early this year. It seems that a lot
> of stuff has happened in the mean time.

As Havoc said, there is a copy of the specification in the docs directory
of gtk+ HEAD.  I have a simple script in pygtk that can generate new style
defs from headers.  The generator is not perfect (there is some
information I want in my defs file that can't be deduced from the headers,
such as sensible default values for arguments, or whether NULL is an
acceptable value.  This is why I have a defs file included in the pygtk
package, and don't try to generate it at build time.  The h2def script is
still useful to quickly wrap new widgets, or check for changes.

James.