Re: Pango change broke GtkFB.

Alexander Larsson <alla lysator liu se> writes:

> This change to pango:
>
> 2000-12-14  Havoc Pennington  <hp redhat com>
>
> 	* pango/Makefile.am (libpangox_la_SOURCES): modules.[hc] and
> 	module-defs.c have to go in libpangox for now since the modules
> 	use the X stuff, and static linkage won't let you play games here
>

> broke GtkFB, and probably all users of pango without X. GtkFB doesn't
> link to libpangox (for obvious reasons), but calls
> pango_map_get_engine() and pango_find_map().
>
> Where exactly does this use "the X stuff"?

Putting modules.[ch] into libpangox was wrong, since it contains
code, as you say, that is generic between ports. Putting
module-defs.c into libpangox is probably right, or almost right,
since it points to X-specific shaper modules.

What Havoc was trying to do was deal with the fact that when
linking statically --with-included modules there is a circular
dependency between libpango and libpangox. I think the right
approach was to simply put libpangox on the link line twice,
as ugly as that seems.

Or probably cleaner, use pango_module_register() to register
the included modules in pango_x_get_context() and avoid
the circular dependency altogether.