clists, and file selection

I'm going to try to add entry selection by first letter support for clists
to gtk. (Like windows does: You type the first letter of the entry, and
the focus jumps to the first entry starting with that letter. Actually, win
does more, but I'm gonna start with this. The reason I'm doing this is because
it really bugs me that I can select a file by first letter in the winamp jump
to file dialog box, but not in the xmms jtf dialogbox.).
I've never done any gtk programming, apart from the standard hello world,
this is a button (oh really? Yes, really.) stuff, so it should be fun to say
the least.
But anyways, I was wondering if anyone has any comments etc on this, and,
secondly, why is the

gtk_clist_draw_focus (widget);

in line 6858 of gtkclist.c there?

(relevant code:

move_focus_row (GtkCList      *clist,
    GtkScrollType  scroll_type,
    gfloat         position)
{
  GtkWidget *widget;

  g_return_if_fail (clist != 0);
  g_return_if_fail (GTK_IS_CLIST (clist));

  widget = GTK_WIDGET (clist);

/* Snip a lot of stuff */

    case GTK_SCROLL_STEP_FORWARD:
      if (clist->focus_row >= clist->rows - 1)
  return;
       gtk_clist_draw_focus (widget);      /* <<<<<<<< This one */
      clist->focus_row++;
      gtk_clist_draw_focus (widget);
      break;

)