Re: Building RPM for 1.2.7

"Braden N. McDaniel" <braden@endoframe.com> writes:

> On 17 Feb 2000, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > "Braden N. McDaniel" <braden@endoframe.com> writes:
> >
> > > Building an RPM for 1.2.7 failed for me. This is the back end of the build
> > > output:
> > >
> > > Processing files: gtk+
> > > File not found: /var/tmp/gtk-1.2.7-root/usr/share/locale/*/*/*
> > > Executing: %doc
> > > + umask 022
> > > + cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
> > > + cd gtk+-1.2.7
> > > + DOCDIR=/var/tmp/gtk-1.2.7-root/usr/doc/gtk+-1.2.7
> > > + export DOCDIR
> > > + rm -rf /var/tmp/gtk-1.2.7-root/usr/doc/gtk+-1.2.7
> > > + /bin/mkdir -p /var/tmp/gtk-1.2.7-root/usr/doc/gtk+-1.2.7
> > > + cp -pr AUTHORS COPYING ChangeLog NEWS README TODO
> > > /var/tmp/gtk-1.2.7-root/usr/doc/gtk+-1.2.7
> > > + exit 0
> > > PreReq: /sbin/install-info /sbin/ldconfig
> > > Requires: glib
> > > Obsoletes: gtk
> > > Processing files: gtk+-devel
> > > Finding  Provides: (using /usr/lib/rpm/find-provides)...
> > > Finding  Requires: (using /usr/lib/rpm/find-requires)...
> > > PreReq: /sbin/install-info /bin/sh
> > > Requires: gtk+ /bin/sh
> > > Obsoletes: gtk-devel
> > >
> > > I'm not sure where exactly this indicates the problem might lie.
> >
> > Do 'unset LINGUAS' before building the RPM.
>
> Thanks! Worked like a charm.
>
> > You may want to
> > remove the line that sets that from /etc/sysconfig/i18n.
>
> I may want to, but not before I understand the implications of doing so.
> Could you elaborate on what this setting does, or point me to the
> appropriate documentation?

The LINGUAS environment variable is essentially the "set of languages
you are interested in". At one point RPM used that variable to decide
what documentation to install. However, autoconf also uses this variable
to decide what languages to install when building; this is not
a good effect, since it the translations are typically small and
when you build a package, you want to build it with all the
translations. Also, some packages simply die during the build if
LINGUAS is set to certain values.

RPM was switched over a while ago to support a RPM_LINGUAS variable
instead of LINGUAS, but the LINGUAS variable was left set by the
installer for 6.1, with the bad effects you have observed. This will
be fixed in the next Red Hat release.