Re: normal buttons don't get down when pressed with SPACE or ENTER

Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com> wrote:

> No the problem is that people think they want to use "pressed" when
> really they want "clicked". pressed is _only_ useful for the
> hold-down-the-button case. I'm sure I've seen this mistake on
> gtk-list a dozen times, which means the number of people screwing it
> up while not posting their screwup to gtk-list is probably quite
> high.

I have not followed the thread closely, so foregive me if I got it the
wrong way. However, I do think visual feedback from using keyboard
accelerators would be nice. I do not care much about pressed/released
but they might follow logically from having visual feedback.

I recall the Amiga (reqtools, in particular) painting the widgets in
depressed state while the user was keeping the accelerator
pressed. Hitting the shift key before releasing the accelerator could
then cancel the click. If the key was just clicked for a short amount
of time, the depressed state was shown for at least N milliseconds. I
think that system was pleasant to use and the visual feedback from
using accelerators really made the user certain that she was doing
what she wanted.

Did I enter the correct discussion? :-)

--
Regards, Anders