Re: GtkPaned vs. GtkBox

Karl Nelson wrote:

> Can I suggest an alternate design?  Rather than trying to
> turn a box into a paned, we could just create a special
> type of separater.  This would be a PanedSeparator.  You
> could place in inside any Box and thus change the widgets
> on either side to act like panes.  Thus if you want to have
> a paned set up like say xfontsel, you make a Vbox with a menubar,
> then a button bar, a PanedSeparator, a label, a PanedSeparator,
> then a drawing area.
>
>       -------------------
>      | Menu              |
>      +-------------------+
>      | Buttons           |
>      +-----------------O-+  PanedSeparator
>      | Label             |
>      +-----------------O-+  PanedSeparator
>      |                   |
>      | Drawing area      |
>      |___________________|
>
> This would give the same effect as creating a mult-paned which
> you desire and remove the need to a special Paned with 2 areas.
> (Could be made backwards compatible with some wrapping code.)
>
> (It would be really cool if the PanedSeparator could be made
> to work with tables as well, but not necessary.)
>
> What do you think?
>
> --Karl

makes much more sense than my suggestion imho - i have no idea how
difficult it would be to implement a standalone PanedSeparator since i
haven't looked into the code of GtkBox and GtkPaned but i'll definitely
do so soon and come up with something. i might be more efficient if the
guy who already made GtkPaned could do that, but i'm aware that i
triggered the discussion so i'll allocate some time to that thing ;)

fritz