GtkNotebook problems

I think there are a couple of problems with GtkNotebook (GTK+ 1.2.6):

 1) gtk_notebook_real_switch_page() currently queues a resize, but
    for complicated layouts this can make page switching quite slow,
    and I don't really think it should be here.

    The Changelog mentions why this was done:

    Sat Aug 21 14:07:36 1999  Lars Hamann  <lars@gtk.org>

	* gtk/gtknotebook.c (gtk_notebook_real_switch_page): queue_resize
	notebook after switch to avoid drawing problems.
	(Bug#856 Reported by: Theodore Roth <troth@netmagic.net>)

    Maybe there is a better solution to that problem.

 2) gtk_notebook_size_request() sometimes shows, hides, or unmaps child
    widgets. I don't think this should be done here, and I think this may
    be causing a problem I have where pages sometimes do not appear at all.

Damon