Re: Parallel installs

> From: Owen Taylor <otaylor@redhat.com>
> Date: 06 Jul 2000 18:21:19 -0400
>

> Thinking about the issue of parallel installs of GTK+-1.2 and GLib-1.2
> today, it seems to me:
>
>  - We need to definitely support parallel user installs
>    for average users, and supporting parallel devel
>    installs for average developers would be nice too.
>
>  - Using a separate prefix is not the right solution
>    for the user installs and is not a great solution
>    for developer installs.
>
>    While a person installing GTK+ from scratch can
>    use a different prefix for different versions, this
>    is not an attractive solution for people making
>    packages for distributions, especially when they
>    are trying to remain FHS compliant.
>
>    Also, using different prefixs means juggling $PATH
>    to get the correct compilation
>
> So, I propose the great move:
>
>  /usr/include/glib.h => /usr/include/glib2/glib.h
>  /usr/lib/glib/include => /usr/lib/glib2/include
>  /usr/lib/glib/libglib.so => /usr/lib/glib/libglib-{1-3,2-0}.so
>  glib-config => glib2-config
>
>  /etc/gtk => /etc/gtk2
>  /usr/share/local/*/*/gtk+.mo => /usr/share/local/*/*/gtk2.mo
>  /usr/share/themes/*/gtk/ => /usr/share/themes/*/gtk2/
>  /usr/include/gtk => /usr/include/gtk2/gtk
>  /usr/include/gdk => /usr/include/gtk2/gdk
>  gtk-config => gtk2-config
>
> And anything else that can conflict. Basically, you should be able to
> install both runtime and devel packages at once without a single
> conflict.
>
> Regards,
>                                         Owen

This idea seems good to me. I was thinking about a
"glib-config --version x.x" behaving like the "gnome-config --libs
gnomeui"(for example) mechanism. But there are two problems:
- it doesn't solve the filename clashing;
- it means that the xxx-config script could be overwritten by another
  installation of a previous version of the package.