Re: Patch: remove hard-coded indicator size (revised)

On 7 Jul 2000, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Themes are not allowed to modify class variables. Some themes do
> that, and worse. We tolerate that, but we aren't going to encourage
> that by adding a patch like this.

Funny, I thought the class variable mechanism was a rather elegant way for
themes to control widget geometry.

> Figuring out some slightly better way for themes to do things like
> this is something that, with any luck at all, we'll manage to do
> for GTK+-2.0. If we do that, geometry parameters like this will
> be one of the things that themes will be able to configure.

>From the sound of things as described by Havoc, it doesn't sound likely.
It's a pretty big undertaking, and you're reaching a feature freeze.

I don't see what the problem is with the current approach. I mean, if theme
engines aren't supposed to modify class variables (like
GtkRangeClass.slider_width and GtkCheckButtonClass.indicator_size), then
what is?  Application code? A GnomeCC capplet?  What are they there for?

--Straker

                       //,,    //,,
 Straker Skunk     / //////  ////// /      Skunks are such wonderful
 <skunk@mit.edu>  / //////  ////// /     creatures... soft, and cuddly,
 -- -- -- -- -- --\ \\\\\\  \\\\\\ \      and if you annoy them they
 Daniel Richard G. \ \\\\\\  \\\\\\ \      make you stink like hell
 //mit.edu/straker  / //////  ////// / Furry|Course VI-3|MIT Class of 2001
 //skunk.mit.edu   / //////  ////// / 80% Beaver 90% Penguin 100% SKUNK!!!