Re: Parallel installs

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 04:09:45PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
>  a) Ignore it, and worry about it when GTK+-2.2 comes along.
>     The worst that happens is that we have
>
>     /usr/lib/gtk
>     /usr/lib/gtk2
>     /usr/lib/gtk2.2
>
>  b) Substitute gtk20 for gtk2 above.
>
>  c) Go with a "version number in the path" approach for the
>     directories - /usr/include/gtk/2.0/. (But this doesn't
>     help for gtk-config.)

	$0.02 with regarts to existing practice:

/usr/include/X11
/usr/X11R6.4/lib
/usr/share/emacs/20.7
/usr/share/vim/vim57

	gtk-config could just be:

#!/bin/sh

if [ "$#" = 0 ]
then
    VERSION=<some default, maybe the most current>
else
    <find --version option, set $VERSION>
fi

/usr/libexec/gtk/$VERSION/gtk-config "$@"

	Some other mechanism could be used, but it boils to the same
thing.  If the software package has to know to run "gtk2.2-config", it
can just as easily know to run "gtk-config --version 2.2".

Joel

--

"Nothing is wrong with California that a rise in the ocean level
 wouldn't cure."

			http://zenii.uk.linux.org/~jlbec/
			jlbec@evilplan.org