Re: gtk-config suggestion for 1.2

Mikael Hermansson <mikeh@bahnhof.se> writes:

> Hello gtk/glib developers!
>
> I just downloaded gtk1.3/pango/glib1.3 for testing (from cvs).
>
> But pango didn't compile.
>
> Reason it calls wrong glib version. Checking it gave me this
> CFLAGS from the created Makefiles
>
> -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0
>
> The first one (-I/usr/local/include) is used by fribidi.
>
> This means Pango is trying to include the old glib.h from gtk 1.2
> (/usr/local/include/glib.h)

The problem is that your version of fribidi wasn't recompiled,
so it is still looking for glib in the wrong directory. I've
added a check to Pango's configure now to catch this problem.

Just grab the fribidi patch from ftp.gtk.org:/pub/gtk/v1.3/dependecies
recompile and and you'll be all set.

> Probadly this will also happen on gtk1.3 (/usr/local/include/gtk.h)
> when i'm trying compile that.
>
> my suggestion is to change the old glib.h/gtk.h to an subdirectory the same
> way as the new one (glib-1.2/gtk-1.2) and also change the directives in
> gtk-config to make sure not include wrong version.

We can't retroactively change old versions of GTK+ :-) But if we do
do a 1.2.9, we might want to do this just to make more certain that
it won't happen.

> Or will this break back compabilities? IMHO this will only happen for those
> who don't use gtk-config when create Makefile or am a wrong here? :-/)
>
> Other way is to #include <glib-2.0/glib.h> in all c files in gtk+/glib/fribidi
>
> and so on. This is to avoid have to many -I flags when compiling?

But the -I flags all come from gtk-config-2.0 - so I think that
is a lot easier than forcing people to modify their sources.