Re: the *-config scripts

Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com> writes:

> Martijn van Beers <martijn@earthling.net> writes:
> > *) gnome-config in HEAD has support for several different
> >    interface versions of a library to be installed. Do we want
> >    to support this in pkgconfig as well?
> >

> Don't you just do this by installing package "gnome1", "gnome2", etc.?

This doesn't feel right to me. We definitely want to support simultaneous
GTK+-1.2 and 1.4 build environments in the short term. I don't think that
means we want to have gtk-config --libs gtk14.

It's possible that a path is sufficient to handle this. If you want
the 1.2 development environment you put /usr/share/pkgconfig first in
your path, if you want the 1.4 development environment; you put
/opt/gtk14/pkgconfig first in your path.

[
There is another issue here that is probably too complicated to get into -
that sometimes you'd like to have dual environments with "GTK+-1.2 build
against GLib-1.2 and GTK+-1.2 build against GLib-1.4." Getting the
compile-time setup for this isn't hard; getting the run-time right is
harder; you might be able to do it with sufficient use of --rpath.
]