Re: the *-config scripts

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 01:38:40PM -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
> > The current way of handling this is by creating an idl.pc, and filling
> > IDL_CFLAGS with the include paths.
>
> But that doesn't work, because multiple packages install IDL files.
> You need to be able to say
>
> 	PKG_CHECK_MODULES(EVOLUTION, bonobo:0.15)
>
> and then use EVOLUTION_IDL_FLAGS (or whatever) and have that include
> both the ORBit IDL and the Bonobo IDL directories.

my gnomeidl.pc does this:

for extra in `echo $GNOME_PATH | sed 's/:/ /g'`; do
    idl_flags="-I$extra/share/idl $idl_flags"
done

if test -z "$idl_flags"; then
    idl_flags="${datadir}/idl"
fi
CFLAGS="$idl_flags"

Which is exactly what you want as long as you make GNOME_PATH contain
all the paths you have installed gnome stuff in. I don't think adding
an )IDL variable to each module is needed.

> > Why does this need to be CPPFLAGS? you just add the $(GTK_CFLAGS) to
> > the INCLUDES variable in your Makefile.am
[...]
> So you don't want to assume you can do "CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS $GTK_CFLAGS",
> because maybe you can't. So you want a known-cpp-safe GTK_CPPFLAGS.

Oh, you mean GTK_CPPFLAGS. I thought you meant putting it in $CPPFLAGS :)

Martijn